Saturday, September 6, 2008

Women's Work

Our Neighboorhood Washing Machine
Photo by Holly Baumann: Holly Baumann Photography, http://hbaumannphotography.com/default.aspx

Our New Laundry Room
As of this August, we have a real laundry room and we purchased the first washing machine of our lives, single or married. I have to check myself in how much I think about our Whirlpool. It will be the middle of the day, middle of the week, quiet here with just Briana and I puttering around the house, and I'll hear it humming along and find myself humming along with it, thankful for its presence as if it was an additional member of our household. Meanwhile our neighbors (litterly if I had a stronger arm I could throw a rock against the side of their house from our kitchen window) have an outhouse (because our home was formerly a B-n-B we have 4 bathrooms in our house!) and some of our neighbors do their laundry in this antique wash basin (photo by Holly Baumann) powered by diverted river water. Our house is so very comfortable and I'm grateful for these daily reminders, comparisons, that keep discomfort alive in our house as well.

No comments: