Sunday, September 14, 2008

Blessed To Receive Too


About 3 weeks ago, a hot day, Briana and I were hanging out in the shade near the shopping carts outside of PENY market eating a pricey ice cream treat before heading home when a teenage boy poked me on the shoulder and handed me a yogurt, "For your child," and a bill amounting to 50 cents and wished me God's blessings. He thought we were beggars, mother and child asking alms from shoppers coming and going. They do sit in the same place from time to time. I was so flustered. I don't even remember what I said. I think I told him we weren't poor, to give the money and yogurt to someone truly needy. He was so apologetic, as if he had offended us. I didn't get to tell him that it was one of the most beautiful things that have happened to us since living in Romania.
When one of our staff persons heard about the incident she commented: "Yeah, you Americans do dress pretty trashy sometimes."

No comments: