Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Globe that Made it Around the Globe


Best viewed from Scene I to Scene IV...sorry it's not in sequence.

Scene IV: So much for hoping she might not notice, eh Jen Hols?


Scene III: Briana gives the globe its first run.



Scene I: Here comes the final Santa.



Scene II: The end of a journey.


On December 7 a box boarded an airplane and embarked on its journey across the Atlantic, carrying in its cargo hold a box full of love for a little girl in Lupeni from aunties, unclies and grandparents in far-off America. But that wasn't the beginning of its journey, and it certainly wasn't its end. I feel like a small documentary could be done on the miles this box covered (actual distance, emotional energies, and latitudes of love) to get from point A to point B, and prizes should be given to all the Santas along the way who helped move it across the globe, starting with Santa Jen Holly in Iowa and ending with Santa Bart here in Lupeni. (With honorable mention to Santa Diana who had to involve Santa Bookeeper in Bucharest in the preperation of 5 official documents before she could retrieve the package and taxi it across town to meet Santa Bart at the bus station.) By the time this globe reached Lupeni, certainly its retail value had triple- quadrupled twice. But hopefully, as the one commercial goes, everyone would breathe in the end (and not least us, Briana's parents, who are so grateful for our family, and many others along the way, going the extra-extra mile to help Briana feel their love close at Christmas): "Priceless!" Thank you to everyone, and Merry Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

D said...

1. considering what "santa" really means, i think it's so sweet and accurate that you called them santa bart, santa diana, etc

2. my roommate, a geography teacher, has this globe and all four of us twentysomethings in the house LOVE playing with it. im glad briana has one!

D said...

3. I just now actually watched the videos- my favorite part might be when bart rings the bells in part II

4. whoa, she is wicked smart- i can't believe she knows all those countries!

JenHolly said...

This is fantastic, fantastic, fantastic! It was all worth it anyway, but seeing the videos warms every single inch of my heart. She is amazing!!! I'm so glad to hear the joy in your voice at the unveiling and throughout. Thanks for making it such a joy to be one of the many Santas. I love you all and I hope that this small effort has demonstrated just a small portion of that love.

I will definitely need to practice my geography so that I can be as smart as Schnookers. She's beyond amazing.

Thanks for sharing the videos. They are so special and really are the best cherry on top of the dessert. LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!!!

JenHolly said...

P.S. I somehow knew that she would notice that the water had turned white. We can't get anything past her! :)

Eden said...

What the heck!?! She IS totally amazing!! Did she learn that at home or school?

Janelle and Daniel said...

I am reading your blog!
Ryan showed me how to use google reader and I'm keeping myself updated ... although you live but 15 minutes away it's always nice to read about the comings and goings of familia bates.